产业发展的推动者 ● 城市更新的建设者
After Shanghai opened as a port, Britain, the United States, France, Japan, Germany and other countries competed to build docks and factories in Pudong. Many ethnic industrialists also participated in the competition and opened up the market. By the 1920s, the area along the Yangtze River had developed into an urbanized area with dense factories and a large population. Among them, the Lujiazui area, which has a special geographical advantage, has changed significantly, and the Chunjiang Wharf on its west side is also being built with a rapid population increase. In 1933, the Chunjiang Wharf was completely renovated by the Shanghai Municipal Public Administration at a cost of 129.8 million silver dollars and expanded into a modern wharf fixed with steel pontoons and cement. Because the wharf faces the Bund Park (now Huangpu Park) across the river, and Puxi is the busiest Nanjing Road Tongren Wharf on the Bund, there are a lot of passengers crossing the river, and the flow exceeds the historical Bachangdu, becoming the most popular on the east bank of the Huangpu River. One of the busy ferry terminals.
In 1937, the Japanese army occupied Shanghai, and the Chunjiang Wharf was moved to a military wharf, and pedestrians were prohibited. On the eve of the victory of the Anti-Japanese War, the dock facilities were dragged by the Japanese to the Qingning Temple Wharf for use. In addition, the riverside was heavily silt, and it was not possible to resume navigation before liberation.
Not far from the north side of Chunjiang Wharf, there is a Fenshan Wharf. The wharf was built in 1928 and belongs to Mindu. Because next to the wharf is a cemetery for foreigners and seamen built by British merchants in 1859, local people call it a foreign cemetery, and the wharf is also named for it. The Fenshan Wharf uses a small steamboat to ferry, but the facilities are simple and use wooden springboards. It became a military terminal after the Japanese occupation of Shanghai.
After liberation, the area around Fenshan Wharf was built as Pudong Park. The original Chunjiang Wharf was transformed into the Lujiazui Ferry Station, becoming the ferry station with the largest flow on the Huangpu River. On August 15, 1999, Lujiazui Ferry Station cancelled the suspension.
[Information source: Shi Zhiban]
From "Modern East Bund"