产业发展的推动者 ● 城市更新的建设者
Pudong New Area is located in the east of Shanghai, on the east edge of the Yangtze River Delta. Named because of its location on the east of Huangpu River. It borders the Yangtze River estuary to the east, Fengxian and Minhang districts to the south, and Xuhui, Huangpu, Hongkou, Yangpu and Baoshan districts to the west and Baoshan across the river.
The picture above shows the old look of Pudong, Shanghai in 1990, which is the area of Binjiang Avenue today
The picture below shows the 2006 Century Avenue in Lujiazui, Pudong, Shanghai
Pudong, as the name suggests, is the general term for the area east of the Huangpu River. In the second year of Yongle (1404), the Hubu Shangshu Xia Yuanji organized the expansion of Fanjiabang. After the Huangpu River became the main channel of the Shanghai area, the Huangpu River was used as the boundary to form the east-west pattern of the Pujiang River, and "Puxi" and "Pudong" appeared. "The name. As the name of the area, Pudong was first seen in the "Shanghai County Chronicles" during the Jiajing period of the Ming Dynasty.
"Shanghai County Chronicles" stated: Down from Zhagang, Ruoyantietang, Shenzhuangtang, Ruozhoupu, Ruosanlintang, Ruoyangzi, this is the water of Pudong.
On May 3, 1990, the Pudong Development Office of the Shanghai Municipal People's Government and the Shanghai Pudong Development Planning Research and Design Institute were formally established. Zhu Rongji, then the mayor of Shanghai, attended the inauguration ceremony
"Pudong" is an ancient place name with a history of more than 900 years, but it was not until August 1958 that it was used as the name of an administrative district for the first time: Pudong County. Pudong County covers an area of 158.85 square kilometers. In October 1960, Pudong County was abolished, rural areas were divided into Chuansha County, and urbanized areas were divided into three districts, Huangpu, Nanshi, and Yangpu. On January 1, 1993, the Pudong New Area was formally established with the approval of the State Council. Its area is a triangular plot east of the Huangpu River and south of the Yangtze River Estuary, including the Pudong part of the original Nanshi, Huangpu, and Yangpu districts, and the original Shanghai County Sanlin Township (now Minhang District), as well as all of Chuansha County, covers an area of 569 square kilometers.
▲The picture above shows Lujiazui before development in the 1990s. Lujiazui was named after Lu Shen, a scholar of the Ming Dynasty. Lu Shen was born in the 13th year of Chenghua in the Ming Dynasty (1477). He was originally from Henan. During the Jianyan period of the Southern Song Dynasty, he moved from Kaifeng to the south of Jiangsu Huating and then to Yangjing, Pudong, Shanghai. Lu Shen's mansion in the city is located in the fourth pailou, named Linhong (hong) Pavilion, which is the meaning of the nearby Confucian Temple. Later, people used to call that area Lujiazhai, and then there was another Lujiazhai road.
▲Lu Shen retired and built a garden near the Huangpu River, named Houyuan. He died and was buried in Korakuen Garden. Because there is Lu Shen's cemetery and homeland, and the Pujiang River, which flows northward, was turned eastward, so the place name Lujiazui was given. The picture above shows the stone horse on the tomb of Lu Shen.
▲For a long period of time, people in Shanghai used ferry to cross the Huangpu River. Among the dozens of routes on the lower reaches of the Pujiang River, the most famous is the Luyan Line from Lujiazui Ferry Station to Yan'an Road Wharf. The Luyan line was originally a privately operated ferry, which was a hand-cranked civilian boat. The Chunjiang Ferry Terminal was built in 1933. In February of the following year, the "Chun Copper Line" ferry route officially opened, and Puxi docked at Tongren Wharf on the Bund.
▲On the map of the ancient Lujiazui area, except for the Dongyangjingbang (now Dongchang Road area, which was gradually obliterated in the late Qing Dynasty), which corresponded to the Xiyangjingbang in Puxi (filled into Edoya Road in 1914, now Yan’an East Road) There is also an ancient river named "Pu", namely Xiahaipu in Puxi (now southeast of Hongkou) and Shanghai Pu in Pudong. The Xiahai Temple next to Xiahaipu continues to this day.
▲ In the Song Dynasty, there was Shanghai Pu in Pudong, and correspondingly, there was Xiahai Pu in Puxi. The temple named after Xiahaipu is called "Xiahai Temple". It is located at No. 73 Kunming Road, Hongkou. It was built by local boaters and fishermen during the Qianlong period of the Qing Dynasty to pray for safety in going to sea. It has a history of more than 260 years. Burnt down, rebuilt in 1941, covering an area of about 3000 square meters.
▲The Zhangjiabang River runs from the Huangpu River in the west to the Yangtze River estuary in the east, with a total length of 23.5 kilometers. It is a main river channel in Pudong New Area. Zhangjiabang was excavated during the Kangxi period of the Qing Dynasty and was named after Zhang first lived here. In history, this river has been blocked many times and dredged many times. Eventually, garbage dumped along the river and pollutants discharged from factories turned it into a smelly river. In 1998, the government invested 617 million yuan in comprehensive rectification. Three years later, Zhangjiabang changed.
▲The Yangjing Town area has been crisscrossing rivers since ancient times. As early as the mid-North Song Dynasty, there were immigrants settled here. In the town area, there is the only one thousand-year-old ginkgo within the inner ring line (in today's Jingnan Park), which enjoys the reputation of "Pudong's first ancient tree", which has witnessed the past and present of Yangjing area. At the end of Yuan Dynasty, natural villages appeared in Yangjing, and towns and streets had begun to take shape, with a history of more than 700 years.
▲The ancient town of Yangjing has taken shape at the end of the Yuan Dynasty. The downtown area was built in the Ming Dynasty. It was rebuilt twice in the 31st year of Qianlong (1766) and 32nd year of Guangxu (1906) in Qing Dynasty. To the northwest of the bridge is the Yangjing Temple (321 Dongning Road), which was built in the Ming Dynasty and rebuilt in the third year of Xianfeng in the Qing Dynasty. It was once the most prosperous Taoist place in Yangjing. In October 1996, Guyangjing was restructured into Yangjing Street.
▲During the Tang and Song Dynasties, villages were built in Tangqiao area. Zhangjiabang at Tangqiao leads directly to the Huangpu River, across the Tangqiao area, and leads to market towns such as Yangjing, Yanqiao, Jinqiao and Zhangjiang. In the early Qing Dynasty, Tangqiao had a ferry to Puxi, named "Beicangdu". Later, because there was a Dong surname in Pudong who used to ferry here, it was renamed "Dongjiadu". In the 33rd year of Guangxu in the Qing Dynasty, a road was opened from Xiaonanmen to the ferry, hence the name Dongjiadu Road.
▲When you look at the map of Shanghai, you will find that most of the road names in Pudong are taken from Shandong place names, and the road names often contain the word "mountain". In fact, most of these road names were named after the liberation, and some were named later. The first road named Dongchang Road in Pudong area was Dongchang Road in 1928. Dongchang Road starts from Pudong South Road in the east and Dongchang Road Ferry Station in the west.
▲The Shangchuan Railway small train is one of the earliest rail transit in Pudong (there is also the Shangnan Railway). In January of the Republic of China, Huang Yanpei and others raised funds and organized Shangchuan Transportation Co., Ltd. to rent Shangchuan County Road (Qingning Temple to Chuansha County) to lay light rails. It was opened to traffic in October 1925 (Qingning Temple to Chuansha, and later extended to Zhuqiao).
▲Pudong Garden Shiqiao Road is the only road in Xiaolujiazui area that retains the old road name. According to legend, during the Qianlong reign of the Qing Dynasty, a surname Gu came to settle here and planted flowers and trees near the Hutang Valley not far from where he lived, making the stone arch bridge hidden among the flowers. This place was named "Garden Stone Bridge". In 1935, the original river channel was filled and the road was named Huayuanshiqiao Road.
▲During the Qianlong period of the Qing Dynasty, a large family with the surname of Ningbo Zhuang Zhuang led his tribe to Pudong to buy land and build a house in Yangjingbang South. This place was later called Zhuangjiazhuang (now the area around Dongchang Road Station of Metro Line 2). Later, the dealer had another branch to settle in the north of Yangjingbang. In order to facilitate communication, he built a bridge called the dealer bridge.
After the victory of the Anti-Japanese War, a bus station was set up here, and there was also a Dongchang fire watch tower next to the station. In 1996, Dongchang Road Station of Metro Line 2 was built. Since then, Zhuangjiazhuang and Zhuangjiaqiao have exited the Pudong territory. The picture above shows Zhuangjiaqiao Station with an old-fashioned bus parked in front of the station. Behind the station is a fire watch tower. The fire alarm number at the time was "09" instead of the current "119".
▲In May 1930, the Municipal Public Service Bureau received an order from the city government and determined that the Lannidu Taoyuan House was the center, and purchased land from Li and Gu, totaling 3.025 mu, to prepare for the establishment of a water plant. During this period, construction of the factory was suspended due to the 1.28 incident. Construction began in 1935 and the water supply was completed in June 1937.
The Pudong Water Plant is the first municipal water supply enterprise in old Shanghai. It was constructed and managed by the Industrial Trust Co., Ltd. entrusted by the city government. It was designed by the German firm Luode International Co., Ltd., with a production scale of 20,000 cubic meters of water and a total cost of 800,000 yuan in legal currency. During the Anti-Japanese War, it was occupied by the Japanese army and suffered severe damage. After liberation, the Municipal Military Management Committee sent Wang Shaobai to take over the water plant. In 1950, Pudong Water Plant was subordinate to the newly established Pudong Huxi Water Supply Company. The gatekeeper of the water plant was not allowed to enter the plant, so he could only chat with an old employee at the door. The back left of the picture is the water tower with a newly added glass roof; the right is the original administration building of the water plant. Except for the "Yingchuan Xiaozhu" (now Pudong History Exhibition Hall) next to the Pudong exit of the Yan'an Road Tunnel, the building here is the only old building in the Xiaolujiazui area (No. 179, Lujiazui Ring Road).
▲The house of the Yu family, located on the west side of the intersection of Pucheng Road and Dongchang Road (near the present "Qianxiang Pavilion"), was built in the early Republic of China and is a well-preserved modern Shanghai excellent residential house. In September 2000, the plot of Yu's house was undergoing relocation. In order to protect the historical buildings, the cultural administration decided to relocate the Yu's house to the Peony Garden in Jiefang Village, Gaoxing Town.
▲Bingchangtian Road was built in the late Qing Dynasty, starting from Lannidu Road in the west and Lujiadu Road 393 in the east, with a length of 592 meters. During the Guangxu period, a Ningbo native named Lin rented land here to open a natural ice factory. Weeds grow around the ice factory, and there is a low-lying field in the middle. It was originally a coal-chip road, hence the name Bingchangtian Road. Now this road has been replaced by residential buildings and disappeared.
▲Until the end of the 19th century, Pudong did not use a decent road, and the few small roads were built by private funds. In 1930, Pudong had the first official road: Pudong Road. In 1952, Pudong Road was converted into an asphalt road. Three years later, Pudong Road was renamed Pudong Avenue and is still in use today.
▲Pudongnan Road is the main road from north to south in Pudong along the Yangtze River. In 1920, in order to meet the development needs of the area along the river, the original north-south river was filled and paved with broken bricks and clinker roads, named Zhenxiu Road, which is now the middle section of Pudong South Road. In 1948, it was changed to pave the pavement with bullet-stone pavement. After liberation, it was rebuilt and widened many times and named Pudong South Road.
▲In the 13th year of Jiaqing in the Qing Dynasty (1808), Pudong has formed the old ferry, Yangjiadu, Laiyidu and other ferry crossings, called Bachangdu at that time. The other side of Lai Yidu is the Tongren Wharf in Puxi. In 1914, the Dangge Road leading to Laiyi Ferry was named "Laiyidu Road". The gossip "Laiyi" and "Lan Mu" in Pudong were homonymous. Later, the common name of Lan Mudu was changed to the official road name. From the beginning of the Qing Dynasty, Guandu was called "free ferry", and the "free ferry administration" was set up. The funds needed for the wages of ferry workers depended on fundraising by local enthusiasts and the acquisition of ships. "Laiyi" crossing is the official crossing set up by the Yidu Administration. In Dongjiadu, there are many roads/streets named after wharfs, such as Wangjia Wharf Road, Zhuxing Wharf Street, Wanyu Wharf Street, Laiyi Wharf Street, etc.
▲Like Puxi, Pudong also has roads named after historical celebrities. The most famous one is Yuanshen Road. The original Zhangliu Road in Pudong (from Zhangjialou to Bridge No. 6) was later renamed Yuanshen Road to commemorate Xie Yuanshen, the founder of Pudong Tanggong Rehabilitation Bureau who died in 1920. Xie Yuanshen (1869-1920), as the director of the bureau, made great contributions to local public welfare undertakings.
▲The old house of Shen Xingyuan starts from the edge of Shenjia Lane. Shen Xingyuan (1870-1956), the owner of the old house of the Shen family, lived in Pudong. He was a famous doctor in Shanghai at that time. After that, the residents around Shen's house gradually increased, and the alley was formed in front of the Shenjia Garden, which was called Shenjia Lane. The road in front of Shenjia Nong is also called Shenjia Nong Road. The lower part of the above picture is the Shenzhai. According to records, Shenjia Nong Road was built in early 1908 from Lujiadu on the Huangpu River to Yangjing Town. It was an early east-west traffic artery in Pudong and was funded by Yang Sisheng, a pioneer of modern construction industry. In 1996, Shenjia Nong Road (from Pudong South Road to Taolin Road) was renamed Shangcheng Road, and the original Shenjia Old House was also changed to No. 679 Shangcheng Road.
▲Tongshan Street, formerly known as Chunshan Street, starts from Minsheng Road in the east and ends at Fu's House in the west. It was built in 1930. It is impossible to verify when Chunshan Street was changed to Tongshan Street. It is said that a group of Tongshan people in Jiangsu have settled here, hence the name Tongshan Street. At the beginning of the 20th century, a number of docks and warehouses were built along the riverside of Tongshan Street, which attracted a large number of refugees to come here to seek a living. As the settled population increased, shanty towns were gradually formed here. A prominent local family named Fu took advantage of this opportunity to build 18 houses (also known as 18) nearby for opening various shops. By the 1930s, there were fifty or sixty rice shops, butcher shops, tobacco shops, tofu shops, etc. on the street, which became the east-west commercial market town in Yangjing area close to the Huangpu River. After liberation, Cangzhan Wharf north of Tongshan Street was transformed into Xinhua Loading and Unloading Company, and shops and restaurants on the street were gradually neglected.
▲Qichangzhan Ferry Station was built in 1931. It is a water transportation line from the west section of Pudong Avenue to Hongkou and Yangpu areas. It was called "Qitai Line" at that time. The opposite bank is Qinhuangdao Road in Yangpu. The Qichangzhan Street facing the ferry station was originally a gravel and coal road. It was paved with bullet grids in 1953, and then it was paved with asphalt in 1972. In 1987, Qichangzhan Street (Pudong Avenue to Qixia Road) was renamed Qiancang Road, and Qiancang Road East Station was also set up on Pudong Avenue, but the local elderly still call it Changzhan.
▲Weifang New Village is located on Wendeng Road to the west of Jindongfang Road, to the east of Pudong South Road, to the north of Zhangjiabang, and to the south of Weifang Road, covering an area of 836,500 square meters. The project was carried out in two phases. The first phase started in February 1981 and was completed in May 1988 with 131 multi-storey buildings. The second phase started in 1984 and was completed in December 1989, with 132 multi-storey buildings. The second phase of the project will build 3 high-rise residential buildings with a construction area of 27,500 square meters. In 1991, 4 high-rise residential buildings were built with a construction area of 52,200 square meters. Multi-storey mixed structure, high-rise is reinforced concrete structure, internal facilities are complete, balcony, kitchen and bathroom are all used independently. The green area is 51,000 square meters.
▲Laoshan New Village is located to the east of Laoshan West Road, west of Wendeng Road (now Dongfang Road), north of Rushan Road, and south of Pudong Avenue. In 1953, it was first constructed by local financial investment, and then the Maritime Bureau, Port Authority and other units participated in the construction. In the meantime, 83,700 square meters were built in the 1950s, 33,100 square meters in the 1960s, 45,600 square meters in the 1970s, 87,800 square meters in the 1980s, and 13,000 square meters in 1991-1992. 291 buildings, with a total construction area of 263,200 square meters, and a public construction area of 9,540 square meters. The Laoshan New Village, built in 1954 and allocated to the city-level model workers, is a three-story brick-wood structure building with a herringbone flat tile roof, clear-water brick walls, and bathrooms with bathtubs, buckets, and flush toilets, which are shared by two households.
▲According to records, Renjili is one of the earliest lilongs along the Yangtze River in Pudong. It was built in the Guangxu period of the Qing Dynasty. It is located in the west of Weifang Street and south of Dongchang Road. There are 4 old-fashioned high-rise houses and 2 Tongjian Workshop (Nanshan, Huazhuang Weaving Factory). The lane was first named Shiyeli, but was renamed Renjili in 1915. Right next to Renjili, a north-south road was built in 1915, starting from Bingchangtian Road and Dongchang Road, with a length of 183 meters. The name of the road is Renji Road. Although Renji Road is not long, it has experienced more than 80 years of history and was abolished in 1995 due to the need for municipal construction. With the increasing number of residents around Renjili, the lanes extend northward to Dongchang Road, and the house structure has also become diversified. There are bungalows, simple houses, two-story brick-wood houses, and stone warehouses with balconies. Gate building.
▲Among the many lanes in Pudong, few are named after religious places. "Tianhougongli" is one of the few, and it is a historical place name that reflects the Mazu culture. Tianhou Palace is located in the eastern part of the original Zhangjiabang Street, west of Pudong South Road and north of Weifang West Road. It belongs to the Mingdri Neighborhood Committee. The lane was once named after Tianhou Palace. The Tianhou Palace was built during the Daoguang period of the Qing Dynasty. It is also known as the Palace of Our Lady of the Queen of Heaven. It is also known as the Temple of the Sea God. It belongs to Taoism. It is a temple built by the Pujiang boat merchants for the safety of the gods. Tianhou Temple No. 1 is Tianhou Temple. After the Cultural Revolution, Tian Hou Temple stopped its incense-buying activities. In 1978, due to municipal planning, Tian Hou Temple was demolished and a new southeast village was built. In 1990, a 24-story residential building was built on the site of Tianhou Temple, named "Tianhou Temple Building" (1200 Pudong South Road near Zhangyang Road).
▲The first wave of immigrants in Pudong occurred during the Song and Yuan dynasties when the coastal salt industry was most prosperous, while the second wave of immigrants occurred in modern times after the opening of Shanghai as a port. Its distribution points shifted from coastal areas to areas along the river. The immigrant settlements have a strong geopolitical color. Many old lanes along the river are named after their native place, such as Jiangbei Village, Ningbo Lane, Hubei Lane, etc.
▲Longtangs in Pudong, like Puxi, also have the characteristics of industry. Such as: Shazhu Lane, Jiangyuan Lane, South/North Fresh Lane, etc. The original site of Shazhu Lane was at Lane 24 of Dongning Road (now the southern section of Lujiazui Ring Road). It was built in the late Qing Dynasty and was named after many residents engaged in the killing of pigs. Another sauce garden (now Lane 147, Dongchang Road) was built in 1930, named after the nearby sauce garden.
▲Pudong Yangjiadu Road (now the west section of Zhangyang Road) originally had a Yangjiabang, also known as Dingxingbang, which led to the Huangpu River. There is a reed dang on the south side of the western section of Bang. There are boat people living in the dang who live by selling reeds, so it is called Yang Jiadang. Because the boat people surnamed Yang were selling reeds to make a living, they also operated ferry, so the ferry was called Yangjiadu. During the Wanli period of the Ming Dynasty, a small number of boat people began to settle near Yangjiadu and gradually formed a settlement. During the reign of Emperor Kangxi of the Qing Dynasty, the population in this area gradually increased, and there was a ferry, and Yangjiadu Road was built, and it continued to extend eastward, so it was called Yangjiadu Street.
From the beginning of the 20th century to the 1920s, there were more than 100 shops in this area, such as north and south groceries, grains and rice sauces, restaurants, hotels, tea gardens, old and new pawns, casinos and casinos, making it a lively market town. As early as the Qing Dynasty, the Ferry Administration had been established, and Yangjiadu was also one of the "Eight Changdu" on the Huangpu River. At first it was a free ferry, but later it was changed to Ji ferry, and the ferry was collected at discretion. In February 1956, a public-private joint venture, Yangjiadu Ferry Company merged into Shanghai Ferry Company by way of asset shares, and changed its name to Yangfu Line Ferry Station. At the same time, the ferry tugboat was abolished and ferry was started. The route is Pudong Yangjiadu-Puxi Fuxing East Road, 470 meters long.
▲Minsheng Road has a history of 90 years. It was originally a rural dirt road without a name. In 1922, it was built by Pudong Tanggong Rehabilitation Bureau as a bullet grid pavement, named after the word "Minsheng" in the Three Principles of the People. The Minsheng Road Ferry Station is at the northernmost end of Minsheng Road, and is connected to Dandong Road in Puxi to the north. The ferry station was originally named Lingjiamuqiao Ferry, which has a history of one hundred years.
▲In the Lujiazui area of Pudong, there used to be a small road named Youlong Road. The small road starts from the gate of the original Pudong Waterworks (No. 1 Youlong Road) in the west and ends at Lannidu Road in the east. It was built in 1935 and has a total length of only 180 meters. According to legends, during the Qianlong reign of the Qing Dynasty, Emperor Qianlong berthed by the river here when he sailed down the south of the Yangtze River in a dragon boat. In 1935, due to the construction of the Pudong Waterworks to fill up the roads, the route named Youlonggang. It was originally built as a coal-chip road, and in 1953 it was refurbished with a bullet grid road, and in 1973 it was converted into an asphalt road. The dwellings on both sides of Youlong Road are mainly simple houses. At the west end of the road is a water supply plant, and on the north side there were Fenglei Middle School and Lujiazui Road No. 2 Primary School. The Youlong Road Wharf, formerly known as the Taikoo Shipping Wharf, was assigned to the first loading and unloading area of Shanghai Port after liberation. Today, Youlong Road has been replaced by the extension of Huayuanshiqiao Road.
▲The "foreign graves" originated from the changes after Shanghai opened. There are not only many foreign cemeteries in Puxi, but also one along the Lujiazui River in Pudong. The pier next to the cemetery is also called the cemetery. In 1954, the government eradicated foreign graves and relocated the graves. Subsequently, it took three years to build Pudong Park. After Pudong opened, the park was also demolished.
▲Pudong Electric Company, abbreviated as "Pudong", was founded in 1919 by Tong Shiheng, Huang Yanpei and others. Tong is the general manager. It is the first large-scale private enterprise named after the word "Pudong". In 1952, when Pudian was preparing to build the staff dormitory, it was named "Pudian New Village" after the company's abbreviation, and the newly built road next to it was also called Pudian Road, and it is still in use today. Pudian Road originates from the deep road in the east and ends at Puming Road by the Huangpu River in the west, with a total length of about 2500 meters.
▲According to historical records, the Huamu area of Pudong became a land in the Tang Dynasty, a town in the Song Dynasty, and a city in the Ming Dynasty. More than 300 years ago, a wealthy businessman surnamed Ling invited a Feng Shui man to take a fancy to this precious land and built a garden, known as the "Ling Family Garden". In addition, a "Lingjia Temple" was carefully built. The picture shows Huamu Old Town. Over time, the "Lingjia Garden" that people used to call gradually evolved into place names, and Huamu Road, Huamu Village, Huamu Township, and Huamu Town were also named for it. In the early days of the founding of the People’s Republic of China, Shanghai had an idea to build "East Suburb Garden" in Huamu Township, which was symmetrical to the Western Suburb Park. However, the ultra-left route and the catastrophe of the Cultural Revolution made the idea of "Eastern Suburb Garden" come to nothing. A large number of flowers and trees (including many precious flowers and trees) in the Huamu area were cut down and destroyed.
▲During the Xianfeng period of the Qing Dynasty (1851-1861), the Yan family of Xinmin Village raised funds to build a wooden bridge on Bailianjing, called Yanjiaqiao. Due to convenient transportation, nearby residents have moved to the south of the bridge (the upper part of the picture), and the town became a market town. The town was named after the bridge. In 1906, Pudong celebrity Yang Sisheng set up more than 60 acres of land in Liuliqiao west of Yanjiaqiao to build Pudong Middle School. The following year, Yang donated another 6000 yuan to demolish the original wooden bridge and rebuild the Yanjia Bridge on the original site. The new bridge was built in 1908. The bridge is 29 meters long, 3.1 meters wide and has a T-shaped beam. It is the first reinforced concrete bridge in the history of Pudong Bridge. In the 1920s, Wei Dalang was the first to open Chai Ronghang at the foot of the Bei'an Bridge; in 1921, Wei Genyuan opened the first "Sanitation and He" restaurant in the northern end of the Nan'an Market Town; in 1930, Zhangguan Township opened the Tong Han Chun Yaohao at the southern end of the market town.. ....
▲Pudong used to call the fence a wall circle, and the fence made of mud is called a mud wall circle. In the middle area of Yanqiao Town, there are three mud wall circles: one is north of Zhangjiabang, and west of Tangjiabang, where the former Yanqiao Commune Tangfeng Team 3 is called Bei Muqi Circle; one is on both sides of present-day Eshan Road. It is called the mud wall circle; the other is in the area of today's Gangbei district, called the Xi mud wall circle. In 1860, the Taiping Army attacked Shanghai from Suzhou. In order to resist the Taiping Army, they built earth walls on both sides of Zhangjiabang to enclose the village houses. In 1864, the earth wall was demolished, but the mud wall circle continued as a place name until the mid-1980s. In 1981, the northern mud wall ring was requisitioned for the construction of Weifang New Village; in 1984, Tangqiao New Village was developed, and the west mud wall ring was requisitioned; in 1986, Eshan Road was built and the mud wall ring land was requisitioned. In the late 1990s, Eshan Road extended to Pudong South Road. The west extension of Eshan Road (Nanquan Road to Pudongnan Road) was originally named Nanhujiamuqiao, which is different from Hongkou Hujiamuqiao Road (Hailun Road to Linping Road) on the north side of Huangpu River. The road widening project was completed in early 2000.
▲Zhangjialou Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, originally located at No. 41, Zhangjialou Town, Pudong (the south side of the former east end of Zhangyang Road, now at the intersection of Yuanshen Road, Weifang Road, near Tongmao Hotel). Zhangjialou is the earliest village in Pudong where there were Catholics. In the thirty-fifth year of the Wanli period of the Ming Dynasty (1607), a Catholic surnamed Zhang from Beijing, moved to Shanghai with Xu Guangqi and lived here, and the name "Zhangjialou" was given. In the thirty-ninth year of Emperor Qianlong of the Qing Dynasty (1774), a small hall was built, named "Xunchou Cross Church", commonly known as "Zhangjialou Catholic Church" (the upper part of the picture). In the twenty-third year of Daoguang (1843), the small church was expanded and renamed "San Ambrogio Church". In the fourth year of Tongzhi (1865), the church was demolished and rebuilt and renamed "Sacred Heart Church". In the 22nd year of Guangxu (1896), it was expanded again, adding two ear chambers on the left and right, and the hall was in the shape of a cross. On November 29, 1985, it reopened after restoration. In June 2003, it moved to the present site (No. 151, Jinfeng Road, Pudong New Area, the lower part of the picture). In the old days, Zhangjialou Village had convenient transportation, many shops were opened in the town, and Catholics had regular activities, and it became a market town in Yangjing area. In 1958, the government built Zhangyang Road, named after Yangjiadu Road in the west and Zhangjialou in the east.
▲Zhangyang Road is named after Zhangjialou and Yangjiadu Road (as indicated on the map published in 1992, Zhangyang Road starts from Yangjiadu Road in the west to Yuanshen Road in the east). The location of Zhangjialou was on the south side of the east end of Zhangyang Road, near the Yuanshen intersection of Weifang Road, which is now near the Tongmao Hotel.
Some pictures and texts are taken from the Sina blog of Shiyanwutian
Source: Shangguan News, Dongfang.com, Pudong Times